Sunday 19 August 2007

GIVEN TIME


Brenda lately very frail

I telephoned “How are you?”.

“I’m in bed”, she sadly said

Next day again I rang.


Then she told me from her bed

“I cannot eat”. I thought “Why not?”.

I asked her friend Mary, “How old is she?”.

And she replied “Ten long years after me”.


Then hospitalised, Brenda almost died,

The cause pneumonia and

Only just did she survive.

At home once more, she rang me.


“I’ve lost weight; my clothes don’t fit”.

To her daughter, Lee, I wrote

“She needs this, and she needs that.

And not to be in bed, she should sit up.”


Then Mary said “She’s gone away.

She’s with her son on holiday”.

Had I interfered too much?

When by the door a card did lie

From daughter Lee “Thanks, she’s on the mend”.


Rose Lynch 27-Apr-2007

1

No comments: