Sunday 19 August 2007

A Day in March

Yesterday I had visitors;

Three of my family came to dine

And I made four – a chattering bunch


So that I would be on time

On previous night I began

By soaking the vegetables in water – cold


The next day for half an hour

I cooked the defrosted bird

On top of the stove, Regulo lowest set


Dripping to baste, covered with

Butter paper; its cap a page of the News;

Roast in hot oven. Later reduce the heat


Quickly I chop the cabbage

Place cauliflower on top;

The carrots are diced; the swede is sliced


Potato chunks take 10 minutes to boil;

Then painted with butter, oven browned.

The gravy was onion, Bisto and giblet stock


Our dessert – weak and wobbly raspberry jelly

With cherries, apples, bananas, and a spoon of sherry.

The finish – a cup of tea and a jam doughnut


N.B. 1

- No added salt or sugar

- Recommended Lea & Perrin’s Worcestershire sauce

No comments: