Sunday 19 August 2007

A Conversation: Will she go? Yes or no?

Me : Hello Victoria. When did you return? Dominique said you were staying with your son, Phillip.

Victoria : No. I was staying with Gerald. I returned today, and made a cup of real tea.

Me : Dominique also said that you have been in QA Hospital. What exactly is wrong?

Victoria : Oh! I have a heart condition.

Me : I hear that Gerald is emigrating to Ireland. To Bantry I believe.

Victoria : Yes, and he and his wife want me to go with them. Their house is sold. They will go when their solicitor has completed the deal.

Me : I think you should stay in your lovely Southsea flat.

Victoria : We have spent many a happy holiday in Ireland, my late husband and I. Mostly in Dingle.

Me : Holidays are one thing, but living there at your age is different. Health services there are very expensive, and so is food. Why don’t you go there next summer for a holiday? Bantry is in the same area as Dingle. And you could stay for the whole summer if you liked it. What does your son Phillip say?

Victoria : He and his wife think like you

Me : You know Ireland is changing. My village, Ballinacurra, is the victim of ribbon development like England and like the USA

P.S. There is no “Yes” or “No” in the Gaelic language. It has a negative and positive.

Rose Lynch 31-Jan-2007

No comments: